Reef-Friendly sunscreens will protect you and the oceans. There are several choices for sunscreens that are non-toxic and safe for the environment. The sun can do major damage to your skin without proper protection. SPF options are abundant, so what strength should you use? Well, that largely depends on when and how long you intend to be outside.
Sun Protection Factor (SPF) measures how much UV radiation (solar energy) is required to create a sunburn on skin protected with sunscreen. The higher the SPF, the less likely you will suffer a sunburn. One factor to consider is what time of day you are exposed to the sun.
Solar intensity varies throughout the day. One hour of exposure at 9:00 a.m. is equal to 15 minutes of exposure at 1:00 p.m. Also, your skin type, amount of sunscreen applied and reapplication frequency factor heavily into the equation of sunburn prevention.
Taking protective measures will go a long way in preventing sunburns, skin cancer, and retaining youthful skin. Remember, nothing can age you faster than over exposure to the sun! Follow these simple tips to save your skin!
- Limit your time in the sun between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Use a sunscreen of at least SPF 15 or higher
- Reapply at least every 2 hours or more if you are in and out of the water or sweating
- Wear a wide brimmed hat, sunglasses, cover skin exposed to the sun
Avoid spray and powder forms of sunscreen as these are more likely to be inhaled and can be carcinogenic. The following brands offer good protection, are reef-friendly and are safe for you and your family:
Best Sunscreens For You And The Environment
- Thinksport Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ Mineral Sunscreen $10.59 for 3.0 oz.
- California Baby Super Sensitive SPF Broad Spectrum 30+, $23.99 for 2.9 oz.
- All Good Mineral Sport Sunscreen SPF 30, $17.00 for 3.0 oz.
- Badger Sport Sunscreen Cream SPF 35, $17.99 for 2.9 oz. (water resistant 80 minutes)
- Badger Chamomile & Calendula Baby Sunscreen Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 40 $17.99 for 2.9 oz.(water-resistant 40 minutes)
- Goddess Garden Sport SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Lotion $14.99 for 3.4 oz.
- Hawaii Medicinal Body Block, Organic Sunblock SPF 30 $18.00 for 3.0 oz.
- Sea & Summit Premium Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50, $22.99 for 3.0 oz
Did you know that sunscreen has had a direct impact on the destruction of coral reefs? Please see EcoGeekLife.com for more information.
For more information on reef-safe sunscreen or to join the movement please see SaveTheReef.org